DAY FIVE....Correction...
2:35 PMwe DON'T got this.....BUT we will!!!!....I have hope that at the end of this 40 day challenge we will have learned how to handle constructive criticism.
Day 5....ask your spouse to tell you three things that make them uncomfortable or irritated.
If you know Greg and I, you know that neither of us exactly know how to take -with a grain of salt- constructive criticism. Honestly, neither of us were looking forward to this challenge. Mainly because the dare asked us NOT response to what we heard. WELL, we failed miserably. I guess it wouldn't be truthful if I said miserably, but I don't think we handled hearing what the other said to the best of our ability.
So here goes.....
Greg told me it irritates him when I leave the laundry in the basket instead of putting it up!
In his defense, I don't just leave it in the basket for a night of even two nights. It actually sometimes stays in there for weeks at a time.
My defense was...ITS the last load...Its usually really late when that last load is finally dry!!!....By time I get finished with all my other duties at home, plus working and going to the gym, I DON'T FEEL like putting the damn clothes away!! To me its a minor detail that can be ignored until I FEEL like putting them away!!!!
WRONG!!! I should have heard what he had to say, accepted it, told him I was going to try to do better, kissed, hugged and went on our merry way....-note to self, must do better next time!-
P.S. he also told me it was quite annoying that I set my alarm clock THREE hours earlier than when I REALLY need to. I do agree....It sounds like an alarm clock testing center -if these really even exist- in our bedroom in the mornings. Greg is usually the one who has to turn mine off TOO!! Poor guy...I'm sorry hunnie :)
Now, on to my turn....
I simply told Greg I would like to see more initiative from him when it comes to the house and OUR cars!
Ok, so don't judge me on this -I might be a little spoiled- but I feel that as a woman we tend to have the duty of the home, laundry (which clearly I'm not the best at), dinner, house cleaning and babies (one day anyway). And the men then have the duty of the yard , minor odds and ends around the house..(i.e. light bulb changings and handy man fixings) and the vehicles. Fair enough RIGHT?!?!?
Yea, for MY MR. this too didn't go over very well!!! But after a heated long discussion, I realized that he, in fact, does pay attention to the cars -in his own way- and he agreed that he could be better in his promptness of the other small things around the house.
P.S. I also asked him to be considerate of leaving his many "spittoons" laying around. I mean how many does ONE man need ...REALLY!!!!
At the end of this we learned that it is okay for your spouse to get irritated with you at times, but when it is presented to you, take it with a grain of salt. We ALL have flaws...we are merely HUMAN and just because we have these flaws does not make us any less lovable.
If something has you irritated, approach your spouse in a loving way, express your feelings in a way they can understand and in a way that doesn't make them feel belittled. REMEMBER...don't be RUDE!
On to day 6.....
Love is not irritable....
0 comments