FEBRUARY 24th 2011.....
12:08 PMThe first couple of years, I dreaded this day because it brought back the horrific play by play of this days events 4 years ago. But this year I have turned a new leaf. Although I still have my moments of depression and longing for the day I get to set my pretty blues on him again, I have made my mind up to celebrate this day. To celebrate the memories I made with my dear, sweet daddy.
So lets start here....
I remember this house! My dads house, the house that I called home for such a long time. I remember the sandbox he built just for me. I remember all the nights he would tuck me in at night with my little rabbit, wearing a sweet purple dress. I remember the time I found my brothers BB gun -which in my defense, I thought it was a fake gun because it had that plastic orange tip- and shot it in the house!! It came sooo close to the light in the hall, OH MY -I'm sure my dad would tell you this was NOT one of his best memories!
I remember, and will always cherish, the times my daddy rocked me in his rocking chair. Now let me be honest, this rocking thing lasted until I was 21-don't judge me- but it was a moment that he had his little girl, safe, and it made me feel like i was a little girl again. This was the moment that I could just be still, be held, be calm. I loved this moment.
He was my buddy, my dad. If you look at this above picture, you will notice this handsome man wearing the most stylish blue jacket! Now this jacket had/has been around for years. My dad was the kind of person who kept mostly everything. Even if it was torn he would've probably patched it or cut it into a mid-high shirt and used it to work in the yard!!! Yeah that's my dad!
But this jacket in particular reminds me of all the nights he would wait up for me to get home from work. I would call him to let him know I was on my way, and it never failed, as soon as I pulled in the driveway, I was greeted with the flash of the back porch light -I would flash my headlights to say hello back- then he would stand on the back porch with his hands in his pockets (when it was cold) waiting for me to get out of the car. He was the very best. He would heat up dinner and we would watch "The Golden Girls" together -mostly me, he would eventually dose off in his chair- until I finished eating. Man what a great dad!
Yes my fellow readers, my dad was the best Salesman in town!!! He took pride in his work and was damn good at it -if I do say so myself. I remember going with dad to work in the mornings before school. I would help him price merchandise and straighten shelves, I loved it, mainly because I had time with my Dad.
I remember his sweet face when I got older and would stop by and surprise him. In the picture above, you can see a window sill behind him. This is where he would leave his 7up, and without fail, I would somehow take off with it every time. Eventually, Dad would just hand me 50 cents when I came in and would tell me, "Get your own"....lol. What a sport!
There are endless memories! Driving -as a little girl, he would let me sit in his lap and steer. Dancing behind the vacuum...PRICELESS!! "Did you hear those FROGS?" -yea right dad! Quiet days on the porch swing, just he and I. Waking up to a gentle nudge of the shoulder, just to say good morning before he headed out to work.
Great memories! Here are just a few more pictures of a wonderful man that I have the privilege of calling MY DAD!!
Look at that good-looking mustache
I'll leave you with my most favorite picture that I found while digging these up. Plus, I wanted to share with you some of the sweet notes my Dear Sweet Daddy would leave for me to find before heading off to school.
Mom, Dad, Tim (the taller little guy), Fred
and the preciousness in my Mom's arms, is yours truly.
Obviously he meant "GOOD luck" -i had a job interview that day.
So here's to keeping the memory of my dad alive!!!
You're always missed by many Dad! And forever you will always be truly, deeply loved!













0 comments